Thursday, July 14, 2011

If you want to view paradise...


Warning: this post comes straight from my childhood. When I was younger (so much younger than today) one of my favorite movies was the 1971 musical Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Though it isn't exactly a cinematic masterpiece, being made in the early seventies means that the colors are fantastic, the music scenes are a little trippy, and the lead man, Wonka himself, is a dizzy nonsensical dandy (played perfectly by Gene Wilder). The scenes in the factory include huge colorful mushrooms, oversized candy, a chocolate waterfall, a room full of "fizzy lifting drink" bubbles, and Wonka's wacky office where everything is cut in half. Apparently it has become a 'cult film' in the years since its release (to think I watched a cult film as a child, ha!). In my opinion, it's better than the 2005 adaptation, but I am a bit biased.













































(Screen caps from Cute Poison.)

5 comments:

JessM said...

Hey Kaitlyn! You love Seinfeld too? Hallelujah, another girl who's into it! hah, I've seen every episode like ten times. Grew up on it:).

Oh man I also love Willy Wonka(the original). I feel like Wonka was secretly killing all the children in that movie btw... hah. I love a dark consipiracy theory against a childhood icon.

Kaitlyn said...

Hey Jess! Oh yeah I've got all Seinfeld episodes memorized, I scare people! Kramer is kind of my spazzy idol. And I take Elaine's sarcastic lines as my own all the time!

And that's too funny, I never thought of Wonka as a murderer!! Just thought he was kind of a creepy wizard man or something, hahaha. Maybe there's more to his character than meets the eye, and the Oompa Loompas are his evil henchmen...

beatlebuddy said...

Hey just wanted you yo know that i started another blog. plz check it out http://rockersoftheages.blogspot.com/

Smashingbird said...

Love it!

Michelle Elizabeth said...

Oohh another 60s lover! Nice to meet you! Following for sure!
:)
http://60smodfox.blogspot.com/